In the late days of October 1517, Martinus Luther, an Augustinian Monk teaching in Wittenberg, Germany, posted 95 theses he hoped would be debated by scholars. Those questions coupled with social, economic, and religious unrest, gave birth to a revolution we call “the Reformation.” October 29, 2017, marks the 500th anniversary of the birth of the reformation that would trigger profound changes in the European world.
Communities around the world are observing this important historical and religious anniversary, and Hawai‘i is no exception. Our observance will begin with an ecumenical and interfaith service held at the Cathedral of St. Andrew in Honolulu on Saturday, October 14. Dr. David Lose, scholar, past seminary president, and respected biblical commentator, will deliver the sermon for the day. On October 15, he will offer a lecture to the public, and on the 16th and 17th he’ll deliver two more lectures to the public and rostered persons.
The second major event involves reformation concerts on October 21 and 22, hosted by Lutheran Church of Honolulu. Period instruments and combined choirs will highlight the evening with music that has inspired generations.
The third event is LCH’s annual LutherFest. Held each October on the Saturday before Reformation Sunday, October 28 this year, LutherFest is a time of celebration, food, and fellowship in the LCH courtyard. Once again, there will be authentic bratwurst, but the treat of the evening is all the wonderful potluck dishes brought by all who come. Please be sure to mark your calendars and bring your friends. We hope to make this LutherFest one to remember!
On Reformation Sunday, October 29, the LCH community will gather for a festive and beautiful worship on the occasion of this 500th anniversary. We will have one service that Sunday with worship at 9:30 am only.
To prepare for our celebrations, Adult Forum will concentrate on Reformation topics each week leading up to Reformation Sunday. Join us in the LCH Boardroom at 9:15 am on Sundays, between services, for this wonderful educational opportunity.
- Saturday, October 14: 3:00 pm, Ecumenical and Interfaith Worship at the Cathedral of St. Andrew
- Sunday, October 15: 2:00–4:00 pm, Tenney Theater at the Cathedral, lecture by Dr. David Lose, courtesy of the Margaret “Peggy” Kai Memorial Fund
- Monday/Tuesday, October 16/17: 9:00 am–3:00 pm, Christ Church Uniting, Kailua, lectures by Dr David Lose, $25 for two days, courtesy of the Margaret “Peggy” Kai Memorial Fund
- Saturday/Sunday, October 21, 7:30 pm/October 22, 5:30 pm: Reformation 500 concerts at LCH
- Saturday, October 28: 5:30 pm, LCH annual LutherFest
- Sunday, October 29: 9:30 am, LCH Festival Reformation Service