|A—Back Parking Lot
||H—Nave (Worship Space)|
||M—Poki Street Parking Lot|
Back Parking Lot
Back Parking Lot
There is limited parking—primarily for visitors and those who have difficulty walking—in the small parking lot behind the church. The red sign in the foreground of the pictures points to the Poki Street Parking Lot, half a block mauka (towards the mountains) of the church, where there is ample parking for all who are able to walk the short distance back to the church campus.
Enter the church campus along the mountain side of the building (to the left side of this picture) by following the walkway beside the red car or along the ocean side of the building (just past the fourth car).
There are two handicapped parking places, one on either side of the ocean side entrance walk.
In addition to the marked stalls on the concrete surface, there is room for several cars to park on the gravel drainage area at the makai (towards the ocean) end of the parking lot.
The back parking lot was renovated in December 2011 as part of the m1ssion campaign. The renovation included sustainable landscaping using native and canoe species that are common at low elevations, drought tolerant, and low maintenance. Read more about the parking lot landscaping.
The Church Office is the first room along the walkway from the Dominis Street Entrance.
The office is normally open from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm weekdays.
The Pastor’s Office is located along the walkway from the Dominis Street engtrance, right next to the Church Office.
The women’s restroom is to the left of the water fountain.
The other restoom is designated as a family restoom and has the accessible stall, but it is usually used as the men’s restroom. The door can be locked when necessary.
The entrance to the Rainbow Room is found next to the Women’s Restroom along the walkway from the Dominis Street entrace.
The name comes from the rainbow painting along one wall. The room is used for the Youth Sunday School class on Sunday mornings and a variety of other meetings during the week.
The Nursery/Child Care area is located diagonally across the Hörmann Courtyard from the Nave (worship space).
The area is composed of a small classroom (first picture below) and a covered play lanai (covered) area (second picture below).
Child care is provided during 9:15 am morning worship as well as the Christian Education hour in summer and from the beginning of the 8:00 am service until about noon, after the 10:30 am service is over during the rest of the year.
The Boardroom is located across from the Church Office, along the walkway from the Dominis Street entrance. There are also doors into the Boardroom from the Nave (worship space).
The Boardroom is used for Adult Christian Education on Sunday mornings, for meetings of the Church Council, and for a variety of other meetings throughout the week.
In addition to tables, chairs, and a blackboard for meetings, there are several bulletin boards with pictures from the beginning of the congregation in 1900 to the present.
Nave (Worship Space)
The Nave (worship space) is located behind the large double doors in the corner of the Hörmann Courtyard.
The main focal points of the Nave are the altar area in the center of the mauka wall and the Beckerath organ along the far wall. Movable pews are usually arrange in two sections facing the altar area and two more sections opposite the organ. The altar and other aspects of the Nave are describe on the “Furnishings and Appointments’ page, and the organ and piano are describe on the “Instruments” page.
Doors to the Boardroom are located on either side of the wooden wall opposite the organ.
The Hörmann Courtyard is full of activity prior to Sunday morning worship. In the center of the courtyard the Aloha Team greets visitors with handmade ribbon or yarn lei. In the background, others talk informally and prepare for social hour following worship.
The courtyard is open to the sky, but plans are in the works for a covering providing protection from the summer sun as well as the frequent tradewind showers.
This photo was take from near the entrance from the back parking lot. The entrance from Punahou Street is visible in the back right of the picture, and the entrance to the Nave (worship space) is visible in the back left.
The courtyard was named in honor of the Rev. Dr. Arthur Hörmann, pastor of LCH from 1917 to 1946, his wife Maria, and the entire Hörmann family.
The Kitchen is equipped with basic applicances for serving meals, in particular the wonderful potlucks which LCH is famous for. There are sufficient dishes and flatware to mimimize the use of plastic and paper, thereby protecting the environment.
Isenberg Hall is located along the ocean side of the Hörmann Courtyard. Regular entrance doors are located on both sides, and the larger sliding doors in the middle can be opened when the Isenberg is used along with the courtyard for large social events.
Isenberg is used for a variety of meetings and on Sunday mornings for Sunday School. in the picture below, members of the Leadership Roundtable meet to coordinate activities on the first Sunday of the month.
The hall was named in honor of Paul Isenberg, who along with Johann Hackfeld, gave the money for the founding of LCH in 1900.
Poki Street Parking Lot
Poki Street Parking Lot
The Poki Street Parking Lot is located mauka (towards the mountains) of the church building on Poki Street. The lot is just on the other side of the condo building across Dominis Street from the church building.
View Poki Street Parking Lot in a larger map
This covered play area is used for nursery and child care during 9:15 am morning worship as well as the Christian Education hour in summer and from the beginning of the 8:00 am service until about noon, after the 10:30 am service is over during the rest of the year.
Kindergarten and Pre-K Classroom
The Kindergarten and Pre-K classroom is off Hörmann Courtyard, makai (towards the ocean) of the entrance from Punahou Street.
The small classroom is used for the Kindergarten and Pre-K Sunday School class. In the picture below, the children engage in play songs with their teachers.